Saturday, June 21, 2014

El Debarge Jr: A lion in the Den

Growing up, I listened to a lot of The real classical Artists and Musical Groups. The Jacksons, Tina Turner, Boyz II Men, Immature, to name a few. When I think of family musical groups, I think of two groups in particular. The Jacksons and The Debarges. The Debarges is a family based music group that was found back in the seventies, becoming one of Motown's success stories.

The Group consist of Bunny Debarge, Mark Debarge, Randy Debarge, Eldra Debarge and James Debarge. In 1986, however, both El and Bunny left the group for solo careers. With hits such as, "I like it", "All this love" and "Stay with me", The Debarges became a world reknown sensation.

El Debarge's oldest son, El Debarge Jr follows his father and family's footsteps to Musical Stardom. I recently spoken to El Jr, to get an more in depth look on the man, the son of an legendary singer, descendant of Music Royalty, a Lion in the Den.

How would describe yourself as an artist?

El Debarge Jr: I have always thought of myself as versatile. I have many sides to my artistry, and music is only one part which is a vast part in itself. I enjoy many styles of music from R&B and Hip Hop. I release some music, often to the acoustic and random styles I put together for myself and will release one day when I have good enough songs to do so. I have also been told that I am charismatic and metaphorical, as well as charming (and what not) so I guess, I should throw those in there. (Laughs)

How has your family inspired you, musically?

El Jr: The more music I do, the more their influence becomes evident. I have my own way of showing it, but the influence is strong and prevalent in my sound. I just have this suave, little street edge style about myself, real earthy and melodic. Too many words to describe, but I am not one for self-proclamation. But to be more specific, just being around them, growing up and listening to them record and then the finished product versus the studio process. It has taught me a great deal.

As an secondary generational artist from an highly established musical family, what sets you apart from other second generation artists such as, Austin Brown (son of Rebbie Jackson, nephew of Michael and Janet Jackson), Brandon Howard (son of Miki Howard), Deja Riley (daughter of Teddy Riley), etc?

El Jr: I would have to really research their lives and careers more to truly answer this in depth. However, I have gone though many struggles, trials, and obstacles that your average person had not even seen, let alone a child from a famous music family. My life is not what you would expect, so I keep hearing. But people are quick to accept me for who I am and respect me for the way I go about things. Then again, when you listen to the Greats tell their story, most are of great struggle and triumph over pain. So maybe I'm not so far off.

In your most recent USR (URBAN SOUL RADIO) interview you stated, aside from your family, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, and Earth, Wind & Fire are your inspirations. What was it about these Artists that stood out? Inspired you?

El Jr: I love how Marvin [Gaye] was so passionate and the lyrics in his music, is just heartfelt and smooth, while being edgy at the same time. Al Green is the same in those regards, but there is different swag about him. And I enjoyed his music a lot coming up, due to my parents playing him. Earth, Wind & Fire had some of the craziest instrumentals, and the harmonies, runs and notes, that they would pull off. I would just rock for hours. There was a keyboard instrumental I [have] always loved, I forget what album it is on. It's been awhile since I've sat down and listened.

It's been three years since you first released "The Growing" EP. Explain how "The Growing" is different from your current album "Eldra Patrick"?

El Jr: Well, "The Growing" was a compilation that BeatSmith (my partner) and I came up with and wanted to begin our journey [into music] upon. I put a lot of my heart and soul into that, lyrically. And I wanted to give a message with every song, whether it was a warning or a tale. My project "Eldra Patrick", is going to be my debut solo project. [It] will be a collection of efforts on a higher level that I, myself can provide with my own resources. I have recently signed with Rick Sands Entertainment and they are placing me with the best people to help me along, with the team I am currently working with now.

As one of your singles, "Welcome to the Lion's Den" from your upcoming EP. What does the "Lion Den" means to you?

El Jr: Actually that is a great question because, I have decided to release a mixtape called, "The Lion's Den" to give my fans something for being so patient. Plus, I really love the music I have and [I] feels it's a good time to release some of it. So that is a part of what it means to me. It's quickly becoming a large part of my career. It all started on Twitter as you know, with [the] ladies calling me a Lion and what not. Now here we are, naming a mixtape after it. The Lion Den, as I call it, is my timeline on Twitter. (@ElDebargeJr for those who don't know). I call my female followers, Lioness. And I, myself, have been known to be referred to, as Mufasa and Lion King because of my hair and personality.

What is your opinion of the music industry today, in comparison to the makeup of the industry 20 years ago?

El Jr: It has changed drastically due to iTunes, in my opinion. At first, the internet downloading was bad because everyone was burning free CDs and it was all the craze. Then came in iTunes, with the option to buy whichever song you wanted, totally eliminating the need to buy the whole album. Unless you really wanted to support them or love all the songs, or at least enough to pay the full price. Artists used to get away with the mystery of the songs on [their] albums. But now and days, we have leaks and the display of the entire album with the option to pick which song you want. So you better bring it. The audience is extremely fickle and I, myself am part of it. There just aren't many songs that make you want to listen to pass two weeks, because there is an abundance of music as well as most of it, is flighty music.

You have stated you were interested in films, Is there any particular directors and actors you would like to work with?

El Jr: Yes. Steven Spielberg, Will Smith, Jackie Chan, Mila Jovovich, Denzel Washington and many others.

Lady Gaga once stated, "When I'm writing music, I'm thinking about clothes I want to wear on stage." What are you thinking of during your writing sessions?

El Jr: I am mostly thinking of the story, I am trying to create a picture of. I like to imagine a person listening to my music and their reaction to it. If I enjoy that reaction, then I will continue on that.

What advice has your father given you about music and life in general?

El Jr: Through out my life, my Father has shown me things through just having me around him. He was real big on letting me find myself, back in those times. I remember him sitting down with me, explaining how his brother Bobby would make him do things on his own and that made him who he is. He would give me a little but and expect me to do the rest on my own, which I did. Little tips on vocals, women, keyboards, writing, and life in general. I pieced it all together, and live accordingly. Pops always said, "If you got it, then you got it. And son, it's in your blood. Your flesh of my flesh and blood of my blood. My first born son and my namesake." That is the biggest advice he has given me.

Look out for part two of my interview with El Debarge Jr tomorrow, where we speak on love, how can a woman seduce him, and can he forgive a cheating partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment